Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Iced tea for kids

Some cool packaging caught my eye yesterday in the grocery store. I saw these colorful little plastic bottles with soccer balls and baseballs built into the top of them and thought, “Wow this is a good way to bond with kids.” then I noticed that the product was Arizona Iced Tea. Iced Tea for kids? I guess so. The label indicated that it was made with real black tea.

I have mixed feelings about Arizona selling iced tea to kids. It is a little too reminiscent of the way RJ Reynolds created a cartoon camel to reach kids and build lifetime customers. On the other hand, iced tea is not tobacco by any stretch of the imagination. It’s not even as bad for you as soda is and plenty of people give that to kids all the time. However, it still begs the question of if kids really do need caffeine in the first place. I will leave that for the experts. Either way, I’m willing to bet the packaging is successful at reaching kids and perhaps even developing long-term relationships with them.



I was also feeling this other little bit of similar packaging that is just for juice. Who knew that Clifford was still popular with kids?

No comments: