Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Patagonia Common Threads Initiative



I don't typically ride for Patagonia because I think most their clothing is over branded. I guess people that spend a lot of money on sweats like to have lots of labels. Snarkiness aside, they do have some corporate initiative when it comes to corporate responsibility. One thing I'm excited about, from a marketing perspective, is their Common Threads Initiative.

Basically, Patagonia helping people sell, and buy, old Patagonia gear on Ebay. They think it will reduce waste, which may be true. What I find intriguing is that Patagonia is making a bold statement about the quality of the gear. If it's good enough to be sold second-hand, it's probably pretty good stuff, (especially new.) The funny thing is that you might that it would hurt sales of new products but I actually really doubt it. I think people that buy new and used Patagonia stuff come from two totally different market segments. Anyways, I'll definitely have a look.


No comments: