Saturday, October 2, 2010

I Love Guinness But...

Only for the bold?

Listen, I love Guinness.  It's light and creamy with a slightly roasted malt flavor. Yes it is a dark colored beer and it is a stout but let's get something straight once and for all- it's not a big beer. It's low in alcohol content and gravity. Have you ever seen someone pour a black and tan? The Guinness floats on top of a flipping lager! It can do this because it has lower sugar content than a Harp (alcohol is made from the sugar.) We can all appreciate Guinness for what it is but let's not pretend it's a tough guy beer with tons of flavor that packs some secret Irish punch.

 Photo via Brandweek

That's why is drives me a crazy when Americans are always saying things like, "I'm a beer snob. I know all about beer. I only drink dark strong beers like Guinness." Awesome, you have given me all I need to know. Now please leave me alone, I'm trying to enjoy my Makers rocks in peace.

Anyways, Guinness doesn't seem to care if consumers are misguided. It's more than happy to play up the big macho image. It was running some ads encouraging people to be bold and drink Guinness. Most recently it's taken it a step further and been running ads during college football games about how Guinness isn't for people that punt on forth and one. ONLY FOR THE BOLD is the final tagline. I like to roll my eyes when that comes on. I wanted to throw the video up but I think even Guinness is kind of embarrassed by this stateside approach and won't upload it.

Anyhoo, my rant is over. I hope you all have a pleasant day.

No comments: