Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Undercover X Nike video









I check streetwear blogs on the regular and sometimes follow the link check on prices and availability. Inevitably, the stuff I'm, most excited about shows up on some Japanese site with all kinds of characters and crazy rendering. I still check the price and it's always like tens of thousands of yen. I don't bother to do any math.

But this post isn't about crying over the state the dollar, this is a post about how Japan always seems to have the best gear. I'm sure at some point in time, you've seen flocks of Japanese teenagers with astounding outfits. They'll have Nikes in exotic colorways and New Balances in models that you've never seen before. Their jeans actually fit and they make it look effortless. Meanwhile, I'm scratching my head wondering- why are these American companies holding out on us stateside and how come these teenagers dressing so well while American teenagers are still wondering in the wilderness.

So you can imagine my frustration when I see a video like the one below. I run probably 3 to 4 times a week (just to throw that in there.) I usually wear an old t-shirt or some functional polyester top. I figure its that part of my day where I really don't need to stress my look. Meanwhile, these Japanese guys just don't stop. They have a team that's running all weekend in knit beanies and nicely cut windbreakers. They are making collaborations with Nike and filming videos with nice drum beats. Even if we could get our hands one any of this stuff, we wouldn't be able to afford it. Still though, I have the sense not to run in traffic. 



Gyakusou International Running Association from POP Magazine on Vimeo.

More on the collaboration and the line at Pop Magazine

No comments: